Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Spellcheck....Fail

For any practitioner of witchcraft, there occasionally will come those moments when we realize it's called a "practice" for a reason. Ah, those moments that none of us like to talk about. We planned our spell perfectly, gathered our ingredients, wrote our incantation out; it looked as if all was just how we wanted it. Our spell is cast and we walk away.

Depending on the situation, and even on the methodology of our casting, we sometimes begin to see the effects right away.  Those gratifying times when the world around us begins to change, as our workings begin to manifest into reality.  Other times there is that slow, gradual change that takes place.  Or way may never even see the actual effects of the spell.  That protection charm that was crafted for a dear friend...you may never know just how helpful that it truly was.  Perhaps the only evidence you see is in your divinations.
Still there are those other times when we look back and just have to accept that our spell didn't work....simply put.  Why does this happen?  Have we gone from being a "good" witch to a "bad" witch.  (Pun absolutely intended).

I have read others opinions that you should allow at least a full moon cycle before coming to the conclusion that a spell didn't work.  Now obviously this cannot always be the case.  But for general purposes, I feel this is a great rule of thumb.  Sometimes a spell just needs time to "cook" so to speak.  If we enlisted the help of any allies, they may need to time do the working that they were sent out to do.  And while it's not always easy to just walk away and "forget" about a working, it doesn't help matters if we are pacing the floors, worrying about when our answer will come.  There is a reason that witches don't discuss spells that they have recently cast.  Doubts and negative thoughts, whether from others or within ourselves can hinder a spell.

So I have done everything by the book.
I have waited a moon cycle.
I still see no results.
Now the question is why?  Why didn't it work?  Do I just not have the skills?  Did the cloves I added counteract the lavender?  Do I really even know what I'm doing?  Is this even real?  Am I really a witch?  Do I just have an overactive imagination?  Hello?  Is anyone listening?  Is this thing on?  (cricket...cricket)
These are all thoughts that some of us may have from time to time....I know I have.  But we don't like to talk about that.  We don't want to let anyone in on the secret that we are still learning.  We want to keep that image....that I Am A Powerful Witch, Don't Fuck With Me image.  Pride.

The truth is, maybe there isn't one single reason it doesn't always work.  Does that mean we aren't on the right path.  Hell no!  But it is a walking, living practice.  If it doesn't work the first time, try something different.  A tried and true method that always works for me, may not be right for you.  And that is OKAY!  While some may frequently use the aid of a fetch, another may not be entirely comfortable with that and focus more on candle magick.  On the flipside, I say it's also okay to step out of our comfort zones every once in a while.  We are all learning, and if you want to live a magickal life that is something to get used to.  A lifetime of learning, changing, growing.

Now this blog post isn't really educational, because frankly I don't have all the answers.  This post is more to exhort and encourage others who may have had the same questions raised in their minds.  This is why as a (technically) solitary practitioner, I'm grateful for an online community of friends who walk a similar path.  We learn from each other, and grow with each other.  I am not shy about asking my witchy friends for advice about things.  I also am not opposed to asking another to do a spell for me if I fail.  And I am always more than willing to do the same for those in my online circle.  A reason for this being, sometimes when a need is so great within ourselves, that desperation for something can germinate a seed of doubt in our own minds....hindering the work.  If the witch doing the spell is not directly affected....that doubt can then be removed.

Closing thoughts....don't be afraid to try, try again.  Next time, go a different route.  Ask a friend.  Do something new.  But don't give up.  Don't doubt who you are.  Reflect on your successes!  Reflect on what you know to be true from the depths of who you are!  And as always....Blessed Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment